Virginia Bass is a life-long resident of Eureka. Virginia attended Lafayette Elementary School, Zane Middle School and then graduated from Eureka High School with honors. She then attended Humboldt State University, graduating with honors with a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration while working full-time and raising a family.
After graduating from HSU, Virginia operated her family’s restaurant business, the former O-H’s Town House on 6th Street, which was open for more than 50 years. Virginia’s 30 plus years working in the restaurant business instilled in her the value of serving others, the importance of taking time to get to know people and the understanding that bringing people together and working towards common goals is the best way to achieve real solutions.
During this time, Virginia successfully ran for Eureka City Council, serving 1 1/2 terms before being elected Mayor of Eureka.
In 2010, Virginia was elected to the Humboldt County Board of Supervisors. Currently serving her 2nd term, Supervisor Virginia Bass holds numerous countywide, regional and statewide posts, including:
- Immediate Past Chairwoman, Humboldt County Board of Supervisors
- Commissioner and former Chair, Humboldt County Local Agency Formation Commission (LAFCO)
- Board of Directors, Redwood Region Economic Development Commission (RREDC)
- 1st Vice President, California State Association of Counties (CSAC)
- 1st Humboldt County female representative to ever hold the position
- 1st Humboldt County official to serve as an officer with CSAC since 1940
Virginia Bass lives in Eureka with her husband, Matthew. She has two adult sons; Jason, who has served in the United States Marine Corps for the last 14 years, including three overseas deployments, and Jared, who lives and works in Eureka. Virginia also has a stepdaughter, Molly, who will be graduating from UCLA next summer. Virginia is a proud grandmother of her grandson, Robert.